Crispy tofu sandwich
Being Dutch I grew up with a love for bread. A standard breakfast and lunch consisted of thick slices of fresh bread topped with a thick layer of butter and my favourite Dutch delicacies such as Maaslander Cheese, Old Amsterdam or Hagelslag (Dutch Chocolate Sprinkles). Bread has become something very authentic and special for me and will always bring me back to my Dutch roots.
Now a days I’m still a huge fan of having thick freshly made bread for both lunch and breakfast and that’s why I love making this ‘Crispy Tofu Sandwich’ to spice things up a little! This sandwich is full of different flavours and textures and also has the right vitamins and fats to give you some energy for the day! Plus, it’s super yummy!
- 4/5 slices of tofu
- 4 chestnut mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 tablespoon humous
- handful of iceberg or rocket salad
- 2 slices of chunky bread (Rye bread)
- Drain the tofu and wrap it in some kitchen paper or a kitchen towel to get rid of any excess liquid. Leave for about 10 min.
- Spread the honey evenly over the tofu slices.
- Heat up some oil (I use coconut oil) in a pan and fry the tofu slices for about 5 min on each side until slightly golden and crispy.
- Remove the tofu from the pan and add the mushrooms, cook for about 3-5 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Toast your bread.
- Now get ready to put your sandwich together! Spread a thick layer of humous on one piece of toast. Then add a layer of iceberg or sprinkle some rocket salad. On top of this add your tofu slices. Slice the avocado and place these on top, season avocado to taste with salt and pepper. Then add the mushrooms and top of your sandwich with the other piece of toast.
Now get ready to get stuck in! Enjoy!
All images shot with my beautiful Leica Q
Click here for more info about the Leica Q and other cameras