The Best Pasta Pomodoro – an original recipe from Italy
This is my all-time favourite meal. I have spend a lot of time in Italy and I will always be hypnotised by the Italian food thats so full of love and passion. Put a plate of pasta in front of me and I will be quiet. All my attention goes to putting my fork in the pasta, twisting it around and pulling it up slightly, watching the sauce drip off. The sound and the smell are so hypnotising, I close my eyes even before bringing the fork to my mouth. The first bite is an explosion of flavours and every single bite that follows is just as magical. Everything about eating a plate of pasta is a ritual, it’s dreamy.
I have learned this recipe from my Italian boyfriends mother who is a true Italian women. She has always made the best Pasta Pomodoro, that is in fact so good that I always lick my plate clean. I am in love with this recipe and I am so excited to now be sharing it with you guys!
- 1 big carrot
- 1 stem of celery
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- 250 grams sweet cherry tomatoes
- 160 grams of dried wholewheat mafaldine pasta (or spaghetti)
- Finely slice the carrot, celery, onion and garlic into small even cubes.
- Heat up a saucepan on a medium heat and add the olive oil.
- Add your carrot, celery, onion and garlic into the saucepan and bake until everything is soft and lightly golden. Season lightly with some salt and pepper.
- Then add a spoonful of tomato paste and stir.
- Add the fresh tomatoes and season again with some salt and pepper. Continue cooking this for about 15 min and make sure to stir occasionally.
- Pick and chop the basil leaves julienne style (long thin lines).
- Add the basil to your sauce and reduce the heat to low. Let it simmer.
- While you wait for your sauce to thicken up boil some water in a separate pan and add a pinch of salt.
- Add your mafaldine pasta (or spaghetti) and cook according to the package. It’s best to cook the pasta al dente.
- Once your pasta is done and drained add it to your sauce and stir until all the pasta is covered in sauce.
- When serving the pasta sprinkle some more chopped basil on top as a finishing touch!
- Then the most exciting part, get ready to get stuck in! Buon appetito!